Tuesday 5 February 2013

Day 8  -  Rest day at Camp 1

We woke to find that the stream had indeed followed us down the slope and hit our tent spot again as well as some of the others higher up - our defences had kept the water out of the tent though. This led to an enjoyable morning, reminiscent of childhood damming and channeling the rivulet through the rest of the camp out into empty space to ensure that no other poor campers get hit by this. There was brief discussion about whether I was in breach of the terms of the climbing permit by altering a watercoure in the national park -  and whether the Argentinian wording reflected the difference in English between altering and channeling the course of water...


 
There was not much to do and it was very hot so we mainly lay in tents, listened to music, chatted and read. I decided to have a shave - after all, being on the highest mountain outside the Himalaya is no excuse for slovenlyness - but it was a panifull affair given the state of my skin exposed to the sun, wind and altitude. Will have to reflect on my attitude to this conundrum given the new info I have.
In the evening, I was chatting to one of our neighbouring groups and met Mike Hamill who is a very experienced US mountain guide and author. We chatted about doing the 7 Summits and also discussed climbing books as I have a copy of his one and he is very keen on the rucsac reader series my aunt is involved with.
Food today:
Nothing really
Pasta in cheese sauce. With extra cheese, tuna and salami.
Tea, soup, piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment