Monday 5 May 2014

Day 39 - Up to the North Col

I am really struggling to eat with all these rest days as I just don't build an appetite and as such never really feel as though I have much energy. This translates to only a few hours or perhaps less of good energy on days when we are walking. So I am a bit worried about how today will go.

None of us feel that good when we set off and within the first hour or so two people turn back who really just aren't right for the long trek up the head wall. The rest of us carry on but whilst this is a bit easier than the first time it is not by much. As before I have a few good hours but then really start to fade - this is not something I have experienced before so I am really going to have to make an effort with my food on this rotation to see if that can resolve matters.

North Col headwall

Bottom section of the headwall

By the time we get to the North Col it is snowing pretty heavily and quite windy as well so we all retreat to tents for the rest of the day. After a bit of a sleep I make myself some supper but the meal is pretty terrible and I am nearly physically sick trying to eat it - this is proving to be a real problem - but luckily the desert is much more palatable so I do get some calories. This food situation is becoming a real worry - not eating enough is probably the single most common reason for not summiting that is not outside your control - I might see if I can exchange some of my packet meals for the summit bid because this can't continue.
The strain of the day also seems to have brought my cough back which is pretty annoying as that plays havoc with your sleep and efficiency on the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment